Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

What is Independent Health Complaints Advocacy?

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy supports people who have experienced problems with an NHS service to have their concerns heard. The service is free, independent of the NHS and confidential. 

If you, or someone close to you, have experienced a problem with an NHS service we can support you to make your concerns heard.  We can provide information only, or more detailed help and support – whatever is required.  We will help you get a clear response to your complaint.

If you would like information or guidance on how to make a complaint against the NHS, you can download a self-help pack below.  Please note, the packs contain localised information for the areas we provide this service - North Yorkshire, East Riding, North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire.

Help Sheets for North Yorkshire

Help Sheets for East Riding

Help Sheets for North Lincolnshire

Help Sheets for North East Lincolnshire

Help Sheets for Hull

What does an Independent Health Complaints Advocate do?

What does an Independent Health Complaints Advocate do?

An Independent Health Complaints Advocate can:

  • explain the complaints process.
  • help you to identify your options and who to complain to.
  • help you with forms, writing letters and emails.
  • help you to explain your concerns and go to meetings with you regarding your complaint.
  • help you to progress your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if it cannot be resolved by the NHS complaints process.

We will help you to make your voice heard by:

  • giving you an opportunity to speak confidentially to someone who is independent of the NHS
  • taking time to listen to your experience
  • talking with you about what support you need to make your complaint
  • giving you information about the different ways that you can raise your concerns
  • helping you to think about what you would like to achieve from your complaint (people want different outcomes when they complain - some people want an apology, others an explanation or an improvement to NHS services).
Which NHS services are covered?

Which NHS services are covered?

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy covers any problems that people have experienced with NHS services including:

  • Hospitals
  • Doctors
  • Dentists
  • Pharmacists
  • Ambulances
  • Treatment paid for by the NHS but delivered outside the county.
Where do we provide the service?

Cloverleaf provides Independent Health Complaints Advocacy in the following areas:

Our service can also be accessed if the NHS in one of these areas has paid for the patient to have treatment outside the county.

Click here to make a referral online.